6 March 2016

A First - Grainline Studio Archer Shirt

Ok lets hear the applause - I have made my first collared shirt! 

The Grainline Studio Archer button-up shirt has been around for quite a while but of course I am WAAAAY behind the rest of you! 


I must admit I was a little bit nervous about shirt-making. Collars and cuffs looked tricky and I wasn't sure I had the skills. Being self taught means I don't have a clear idea of my skill rating - beginner, intermediate, advanced or somewhere in between. 


However my need for shirts in my wardrobe pushed me to give it a go and the Archer pattern seemed to be the most popular among the indie shirt patterns. So here we are:








It was getting rather late in the day when I was finally (OMG) able to persuade my 18 year-old photographer to fit me in to his schedule.


My 20 year old stylist has flown the nest and is no longer available for make-up and styling advice. I am left to my own limited abilities. 


I made a straight size 4 from the pattern and am pretty pleased with the fit. The sleeves are a few cm long but that is not a major problem. The body length is perfect. The collar was so easy to construct - the instructions were fantastic - though I did refer to the sew-along on the Grainline Studio site several times to make sure I was on the right track.  



The fabric is a Japanese cotton lawn from Spotlight, which was inexpensive and great as a first shirt fabric. I prepared a muslin of the body pieces to check the fit before cutting into the fabric but otherwise I did not try it on until the very end. 



Looking at this last photo several things come to mind 

1. I think my hair is getting a bit long - time for a trim


2. I love these jeans so much - must buy some more in different colours


3. I have my mother Alice's profile - I have no problem with that 


Next up might be another shirt in voile, but we'll wait and see.


Namaste



No comments:

Post a Comment